Siena is one of the most beautiful and elegant cities in Tuscany. For those of you who decide to stay in the timeless atmosphere of our Grand Hotel Continental Siena - Starhotels Collezione, here is our exclusive top list of some of the wonderful places scattered around the province of Siena.
1. The nature of the most genuine Chianti, where ancient villages (Radda in Chianti and Castellina in Chianti) and medieval castles (Brolio Castle, open to visitors) emerge from woods and vineyards.
2. The evocative Crete Senesi, "the desert of noon rest that surrounds Siena " with gullies and ‘biancane’, steam emissions from the earth, a destination for photographic tours, a land that produces fragrant cheeses and white truffle, and full of priceless small art museums.
3. The Montagnola Senese, a steep undulating hill area with great environmental value, rich in churches and hermitages, is now a Site of Community Importance.
4. Monteriggioni Castle, a fortified village, a Sienese outpost against the rival Florence, one of the 10 most beautiful towns in Italy, with a walkway along the walls and the museum of armor.
5. Poggibonsi, the only industrial city in the province, with its pastel colored city center and the Imperial Fortress with the archaeological park, the fountain, Fonte delle Fatte, and the Sanctuary of San Lucchese.
6. The magnificent town of San Gimignano, famous for its medieval towers and village perfectly equipped for tourism, full of restaurants and souvenir shops.
7. The valleys of Farma and Merse, with their pristine landscapes and nature reserve.
8. The geothermal area of Larderello, which it has progressively extended toward Siena, with its geysers, lagoons, the ‘putizze’ and geothermal energy museums.
9. The Chianti Sculpture Park, a lovely walk in the woods among sculptures by internationally renowned artists, perfectly integrated into the environment.
10. The Selva di Sogno Sculpture Park, with works made using only natural stones that seem to come alive as if in a dream, and that touch the soul.